Cervelo Launches Revolutionary RCA Frameset - Hand-made in Project California frameset integrates category-defining light weight, stiffness, and ride quality with S-series aerodynamics
(14 March 2013, Toronto, Canada) Cervelo, the cycling world's engineering leader, today announced the launch of the RCA frameset. Building on the legendary R5ca, the RCA makes the lightest even lighter (667g average weight for 54cm with paint and small parts) while maintaining optimal stiffness. The RCA also introduces Squoval 3™ tube shapes, drawing on aerodynamic lessons learned with the category-leading Cervelo S-series, as well as future-proof internal cable routing. The Cervelo RCA frameset is available now for RRP $10,000 in a limited edition run of 325.
"The RCA showcases the best of Cervelo's knowledge, testing, and industry-leading engineering processes," said co- founder and CEO Phil White. "We are always proud to introduce a new Cervelo, but given its no-holds barred, best-of-the-best nature, launching a new Project California bike is particularly special. The new RCA further solidifies our leadership in innovating faster, stiffer, lighter, and stronger bikes."
Using their Concurrent Aero & Structural Engineering (CASE) approach, Cervelo brought their Toronto and California teams together in a cross-disciplinary process with the goal to maximize the structural and aerodynamic performance of the final design. Utilizing in-house F1 engineering design tools - (CAD, FEA, CFD), Cervelo was able to virtually test all aspects of frame performance. The RCA also features the cycling-world debut of new technologies such as 3M™ Powerlux™ Composite, which allows reduced weight for equal strength, and Integran/PowerMetal Nanovate™, enabling a safe, secure fork with the unbelievable weight of 300g with an uncut steerer.
The results are astounding:
- 667g average weight for 54cm frame with paint and small parts
- Stiffness equivalent to R5ca
- Aerodynamic savings of 7.4 watts over the current R-series (over 100 kilojoules over a 5-hour stage) and up to 10.2 watts less drag than typical road bikes
All of this is achieved without sacrificing the legendary ride quality of the R5ca, a bike as renowned for its lively, comfortable ride as for its phenomenal low weight. Using the ComfortPly™ technology also developed as part of Project California, which removes unnecessary fibres to reduce vibration and improve ride quality, the RCA is a lightweight bike for heavy roads.
Download the Official White Paper Here
Cervelo RCA: Uncompromised Engineering Redefined
Models: Available from Cervelo as frameset only
Recommended Retail Price (RRP): $10,000
Sizes: 48 - 61
First Ship Date: March 18, 2013
RCA by the Numbers: - Average 667 grams, size 54 frame with paint and hardware - 7.4 watts less aero drag vs. Cervelo R5ca (10.2 watts vs. typical road bicycles) - 279 finite element analyses (FEA) - 93 iterative frame shapes
Key Material and Design Innovations:
- Coated fork steerer has increased yield strength and higher ductility
- Premier application of nano-nickel resulting in a tougher fork without added weight
- First nano-resin to demonstrate real structural improvements in rigorous carbon fibre coupon testing
- Improves interlaminar shear and compression strength while maintaining light weight
- Aero leading edges (down, head and seat tubes), reoriented ellipses (lower seat stays) and tweaked corner radii (trailing edges)
- Reduces aero drag by 75 grams compared to Squoval 2 frames without compromising stiffness or light weight
Hollow Carbon Fibre Dropouts
- Gives internal rear derailleur cable a straight shot through chain stay and dropout, eliminating another source of cable friction
- 5 grams weight savings
Integrated Power Meter Magnet
- Positioned at the perfect radius from the crank axis to be sensed by popular crank-based power meters
We aren't holding our breath in hopes of receiving a review bike, but wanted to give you as much detail as we could.